Creativity
Date : 24th October 2017

Marketing in Creative Industry

According to Dr Philip Kotler, marketing is about delivering value to satisfy the needs of a target market at a profit. As far as I can tell, I believe that “marketing” is sharing the same concept with “fishing”. Firstly, we choose the target kind of fishes in the ocean after segmenting them. Secondly, we try to know the insights of the target fishes (what do they like to eat) by using the right methods. Then, we give the target fishes what they want as the baits to exchange what we want (profits). The final step is to build a long-term and stable relationship with the fishes.

The marketing mix is known as “4Ps”, product, price, place, and promotion. However, in the design point of view, one thing I have noticed is that it is important to think as a customer. Thus, the “4Cs” are introduced, which are customer offer (offer the right things at the right time to the right customers), cost (sell the products/ services to the customers at the right price), convenience (use the most convenient way to reach the customers), and communication (use the right method to communicate with the customers).

Creativity

There are many definitions of “creativity”, which is widely believed as a skill of creating original or novel things. Higgins (1999) suggested that a creative solution, either new or recombined, must have value. There are many discussions about whether creativity is a talent or can be taught, and whether it comes out by hard working or by accident. In my opinion, I assume that people can be born creative, but also can be influenced by the environment stimulus factors, such as educations or communications. Sometimes, creativities appear just by accidents. An example of this is the application of X-Ray, which was discovered by Wilhelm Roentgen when conducting the Cathode Ray Tube experiment and widely applied in medical uses.