Museum of Brands, Packaging & Advertising

Branding plays an important role in the industry of art and fashion. Philip Kotler once said, “The art of marketing is the art of brand building. If you are not a brand, you are a commodity. Then the price is everything and the low-cost producer is the only winner.” Marketing Management: An Asian Perspective (Philip Kotler, Kevin Lane Keller, Swee Hoon Ang, Siew Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, 1996) also indicates the meaning of brands, which is a name, term, sign, or a combination of them, intended to identify the goods or services of sellers and to differentiate them from those of competitors. From my point of view, brand associations are images, subjective cognitions, thoughts, and faith on brands, which is cultivated in the mind of customers. It is based on experience and perception. When a brand is forming, customers will start building brand recognition, then brand awareness will grow afterwards. Therefore, branding strategies would be significant tools for me in my future career.

In order to learn more about branding and develop my major project, I visited the Museum of Brands, Packing & Advertising this week. In the time tunnel of the museum, daily objects, toys, foods, games, and fashion are displayed from Victorian times to the present days. I found that the packaging styles were all influenced by the life and leisure of the time. For instance, there are a series of product packaging with the photos of Victoria and Albert, and the products made during the world wars are military style. The products were also influenced by the improvement of technology and also the entertainment. The notable examples are Disney, Beatles and Star Wars. They appeared in almost every single product package at the time, which means they were the most influential things in people’s life.

After visiting the museum, I suddenly realized that branding, marketing and advertising are closely linked to the trends and the styles of the time. On the other hand, the strong brands, for me, are the ones bringing stories to the whole people, influencing human beings’ lives and memories.